Kerala Kathakali Centre is located in Kochi, Kerala. The centre is known for its classical arts performance. Here, the classical dance of Kerala, Kathakali is performed. The dance form is trained through complete and wholehearted fidelity. Various traditional culture and arts are also taught and performed at this centre. These performances are viewed by huge number of audience from all over the world.
Kerala Kathakali Centre is located in the KB Jacob Road in Fort Kochi and can be easily accessed by bus and ferry. The facility of online booking of bus tickets is provided by the Government of Kerala and private bus operators to access this place easily.
History of arts
Kathakali art is depicted in various ways in spiritual plays. This art originated in Kerala during 2nd century and complete development ended during 16th century. In olden days, when the ancient Indian literature and epic “Ramayana” became popular among people Kathakali recognized its importance.
Later the Kathakali dance form was performed during temple festivals and functions. The actors in the play performed the art in every villages and houses. The dance is very popular among Malayalam language speaking people.
Various cultural and art forms at the centre
In Kathakali form of art, the centre offers Kathakali dance, make-up and music. Kutchipudi, Bharathanatyam and Mohiniyattam are the other dance form training offered here. Carnatic and Hindustani music are also nurtured for talents. Various musical instruments such as Violin, Sitar, Veena, flute, drum, Gingira, Tabala, Madalam, Mrudungam and flute are imparted at the centre.
Programmes of the centre
Various shows are performed all the days of the week to entertain people. Entry fee is charged as per the shows.
· The material arts show (Kalaripayttu) is performed from 4:00 to 5:00 PM.
· Kathakali dance and make up is from 5:00 to 7:30 PM.
· Classical music show at the centre is performed by guests all the days of the week from 8:00 to 9:00 PM.
· Classical dance is performed on Saturdays.
· Yoga classes are taken in two different sections. First session is from 6:30 to 8:00 AM and second one starts from 9:00 to 10:30 AM.
· Meditation time is from 8:00 to 9:00
Information about the Kerala Kathakali Centre
· Classes in dance and music are conducted to public in group or individually, as per the request.
· Registration has to be done before joining the classes.
· Accommodation facilities are arranged by the centre for the people, who are joining the class.
How to reach there
Kochi can be reached by air, road, sea and railways. By roadways, Kochi is well connected by all national and state highways. People travelling in large group prefer to hire a bus.
Online booking bus tickets option is available from all major cities to this place. Purchasing bus tickets beforehand will ease last minute tension.
Nearest railway stations are Ernakulam Junction, Cochin Harbour Terminus and Ernakulam Town. It is also well connected to Alleppey and Kottayam through backwaters by means of ferry boat services. The nearest airport is “Cochin international airport”, where flight services are accessed from different parts of the world.